Looking for your next job can be a trial by fire. If you allow it to be. It’s natural to feel stress, anxiety, fatigue and sadness. But you cannot allow these reactive emotions to overwhelm your planning, perseverance, and the action steps you need to execute a successful search campaign. Here are some suggestions to guide you through your campaign:
- Cultivate patience. Your search is more a marathon than a sprint.
- Visualize yourself as employed. Your job is finding a good job.
- Build your support group. Meet at least once a month. Ask members to share experience, advice, and potential referrals.
- Don’t badmouth your previous employer, especially with new contacts, recruiters, and employment specialists.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Set daily goals, but do not overload your capacity.
- Slow down, stay in the moment. If negative emotions raise their head, note them and then let them go.
If you faithfully practice these suggestions, you will find you have more energy, confidence, and focus to deal with what needs to be done.