When you’re being let go from an organization, it’s normal to feel angry, fearful and anxious. However, it’s important to harness your emotions, take a step back and look at the big picture. Here are some tips for leaving:
- Leave with class (even if you are upset with the organization’s decision).
- Get specific information on severance in writing.
- Leave your work papers in good order. Indicate what assignments have priority status.
- Gather business cards from people you know outside the organization and take your telephone and address book.
- Present an impression of confidence that you know things will turn out for the best.
If you follow these guidelines, you will gain the respect of your supervisor and work mates and not burn any bridges behind you.