When leaving a job-whether it’s your choice or your employer’s-it’s important to involve your significant other in your new search. Here are some tips for doing that:
- Be honest. Share your feeling about this transition, enlist the support of your spouse/partner and children, if they are old enough.
- Ask your spouse for help in how you can reduce expenses.
- Are you open to relocation? Be sure to thoroughly explore the implications with your partner and your children who are especially affected by geographical moves.
- Discuss the progress of your search with family.
- Schedule chores and house projects on the weekends.
- Rehearse the family on how to field phone calls from recruiters and potential employers.
By following up on the tips above, you will create a support system that will provide big benefits as you conduct your search.